Oral History Community Workshops
Learn the basics of oral history: asking questions, active listening, transcription tips, and how to preserve the stories of Worcester women. Do you want to help collect women's stories? Interested in the memories of relatives for a family history? Join members of the Worcester Women's Oral History Project for informative workshops on how to collect and share the experiences of Worcester women.
Workshops were developed with the help of Lisa Krissoff Boehm, Ph.D., Dean of the College of Graduate Studies at Bridgewater State University and former Regional Director of the New England branch of the Consortium of Oral History Educators (COHE). Judy Freedman Fask, M.Ed., former Director of American Sign Language and Deaf Studies at College of the Holy Cross is available to advise on interviews conducted with the deaf community. Specially tailored workshops are available for a fee for local social, religious, or educational groups. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to request a private workshop.
Oral History Events
The Oral History Project offers annual events that are open to the public. Events typically involve authors of oral histories and often include student presentations of oral histories of Worcester area women.
- Worcester Women Activists - December 4, 2019 - 5:30pm
- Immigrant and Refugee Stories of Worcester Women - December 5, 2017
- Women Unheard... No Longer! Hearing the Voices of Deaf Women in the Community - December 7, 2016
- Book Launch for In Her Shoes - December 1, 2015
- Undergraduates Doing History: Integrating Oral History Projects into Humanities Courses - December 3, 2014
- Telling Our Stories is What Saves Us: How Autobiographies, Oral Histories, and Family Stories Matter - December 3, 2013
- Voices from Vietnam: Women Warriors and a New War Story - December 11, 2012
- Voices of Worcester Women: 160 Years after the First National Woman's Rights Convention - December 6, 2011
- Dear Diary: 100+ Years of Women's Private Writing - December 2, 2010
- At Reagan's Side: Insiders' Recollections from Sacremento to the White House - December 10, 2009
- Making a Way Out of No Way: African American Women and the Second Great Migration - April 20, 2009